Saturday, July 5, 2014

My 5 favourite books of 2013

It's already the second half of 2014 and this blog is coming a tad late but then I did want to make a note of my most loved books in 2013. This year, I haven't been up to speed. But I hope to read a lot more starting this rainy month of July. What more can a pluviophile ask for ;)


Here are my top 5 from last year

1. Manuscript Found in Accra - Paulo Coelho
I loved this one, just as I love everything by Coelho. This book reminded me of 'The Alchemist' and inspires right till the very last page. It explores hope, anxiety, knowledge, the future and other concepts with simplicity which leaves a profound impact on the reader. I must have read this book at least 10 times now! If you haven't, do get a copy. What's more - you will never fall short of inspiring quotes with this book in your possession.




2. Lowland- Jhumpa Lahiri
I don't know I appreciated the book more for its beautifully woven story or because of the Calcutta connection. Traces of the city in 1950s are depicted with such vivid eloquence, that I could visualize the story of the two brothers and relate to it very well. I wish Jhumpa Lahiri writes more. This  novel has been such a treat!


3. Best Kept Secret - Jeffrey Archer
For booklovers and mystery maniacs, there are some authors you just cannot miss! It is almost criminal not to read a Jeffrey Archer novel as soon as it hits the bookstores. For those who have been following the Clifton-Barrington series, they will simply love this third book on Clifton Chronicles. Powerful characterization, suspense, intrigue, revenge - Archer presents the narrative in his inimitable style and leaves the reader longing for more.
 



4. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
Okay, so I didn't buy this one till I learned that JK Rowling was writing under this pen name. But who would have imagined that the Potter queen would come up with such a gripping suspense novel! She is the storyteller every aspiring writer wants to be! She wonderfully underplays her private detective focusing more on the story than on her protagonist. That's makes the book even more engaging. With the second Cormoran Strike book released in 2014, Rowling has successfully created a new detective who is quickly climbing up the popularity charts.

5. Lean In - Sheryl Sandberg
This is one book for keeps. I would recommend it to everyone, whether they are avid readers or not. Sandberg, Facebook COO talks about why women empowerment is important and how women can make a big difference to the workplace. She starts with her own example, discusses 'pregnant parking' and how women make naturally good managers and leaders. I really like the subtitile 'women, work, and the will to lead'. This is an excellent book to gift to promising new leaders at your workplace, family, and friend circles. I have already gifted 5 copies of the book to women who I know would appreciate the vision. In fact, I too received it as a gift on a day I was feeling low. This book acted as an instant morale booster!

I hope to read more this year and come up with a new list hopefully by end of 2014. Till then, Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment